Sunday, November 20, 2011

Additional Assignment: Metaphors

cartoon about a metaphor

This assignment was given based on our response to Tom Johnson's Don't Let Them Take the Pencils Home post. In his story Mr. Johnson used pencils as a metaphor for computers. I didn't put in my post that the pencils were a metaphor because I didn't realize that we needed to look for and point out a metaphor in the story. I knew that he was using the pencils as an example of how technology should be handled, because it was based on the study of how children who take computers home performed on tests. I think I just didn't make the connection in my blog post that it was a metaphor because I was trying not to make a mistake in my post. As for others in the class, maybe they were like me and just didn't communicate their thoughts well enough. Perhaps they are just the type of people who take things too literally. Also, I am sure that there are some people who scan the post and just write something down to get credit.


Some metaphors I have heard lately are, "raining cats and dogs", "you can't have your cake and eat it too", and, "cute as a button". I think that the best thing we can do for our students is to expose them to metaphors often and point them out when they are used. Also, we should encourage our students to use metaphors in their own writing. I think we use metaphors as a way to say what we mean in a different way. Metaphors are also a way to help you visualize the point you are trying to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment